The suite of Amazon Web Services (AWS) already included a database option called SimpleDB, a basic database with its own interface standard for storing data and retrieving it. The Amazon Relational Database Service, in contrast, uses a more standard database interface, embodied in this case in an online implementation of the open-source MySQL software, the company said Monday.
"With Amazon RDS, you get full native access to a MySQL database," specifically, version 5.1 of the Sun Microsystems technology, the company said on its Amazon RDS site. "This means Amazon RDS works with your existing tools, applications, and drivers. You can port an existing database to Amazon RDS without changing a line of code--just point your tools or applications at your Amazon RDS DB instance, and you are ready to go." More...
It is also starting to have an effect (albeit tiny right now) on the way in which people and organizations consume (or don't consume) hardware. Cloud computing has become a part of the core information technology "fabric" of many.
Cloud computing does, however, generate more than its fair share of disagreement and debate. Vendors, customers, bloggers, twitterers, and even consumers have spend many thousands of hours, hundreds of thousands of words, and millions of dollars trying to convince the world that their view of cloud computing is "the one." Meanwhile, thousands of other very smart people are questioning the core assumptions on which cloud computing's value proposition rests. More...
- Russia, the Internet and a new way to wage war?
- Obama Says U.S. Ready to Act Against China Over Hacking
- Cybersecurity: The glitch in the U.S.-China relationship
- Here’s How Brazil Is Giving Every Citizen Free Mobile Data
- U.S. researchers show computers can be hijacked to send data as sound waves
- OPM hack's unprecedented haul: 1.1 million fingerprints
- U.S. data hack may be 4 times larger than the government originally said
- Net neutrality is here. What it means for you
- US net neutrality rules to go ahead
- Cyberattack Exposes I.R.S. Tax Returns